The Perfect Margarita
An easy to make recipe for a the perfect margarita using freshly squeezed lime juice, homemade simple syrup and silver tequila.
A great margarita has a fresh taste and nice balance of sweetness and tart lime flavor. Our recipe has just the right proportions of tequila, triple sec, freshly squeezed lime juice and homemade simple syrup to achieve that perfect flavor.
Five tips for making the perfect margarita:
- Choose a tequila made from 100% blue agave for the purest tequila flavor. There are a number of high-quality brands that are widely available as well as reasonably priced.
- Make your own simple syrup by combining 1 cup of white sugar with 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is clear and syrupy, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool completely before using.
- Squeeze your own lime juice for fresh flavor. You’ll need to juice between 8 and 10 limes to make one cup of juice. To get the most juice from each fruit, be sure they’re at room temperature, then roll the lime back and forth on a flat surface, applying pressure with the palm of your hand before juicing.
- Use kosher or another coarse salt for rimming your glasses. Iodized table salt is too fine and can impart unwanted flavors.
- Use large ice cubes (1-inch cubes are perfect) to ensure that they don’t melt too quickly.
More Margarita Recipes:
The Perfect Margarita
- 1-1/2 cups tequila blanco
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Lime wheels for garnish
- Combine the tequila, triple sec, simple syrup and lime juice in a large pitcher and chill if possible.
- Pour salt into a shallow dish or small plate to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Moisten the rim of each glass with a wedge of lime, then invert the glass into the salt and twirl around until evenly coated. Add several ice cubes to each glass.
- To serve, fill a cocktail shaker 2/3 full with ice. Pour one serving of margarita into the shaker and shake vigorously for 15 seconds. Strain into a prepared glass and garnish with a lime wheel. Repeat for additional servings, replacing the ice in the shaker as needed.