Ground chicken can make a truly delicious burger when you mix in a few ingredients to add extra flavor and juiciness. For this burger, we used the elements of a traditional sweet and sour chicken. Red and green bell pepper, onion, garlic, rice vinegar and sugar are mixed into the burgers directly, then we topped them with grilled pineapple and a slice of tomato. Serve on toasted sweet rolls with chips and cole slaw on the side.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Burgers
The flavors of classic sweet and sour chicken – bell pepper, onion, garlic, rice vinegar and sugar are combined with ground chicken to make these juicy, flavorful burgers topped with grilled pineapple and fresh tomato.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (Asian hot sauce)
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 sweet sandwich rolls (Hawaiian or potato), toasted
- Place the chicken, garlic, ginger, red pepper, green pepper, onion, salt, sriracha, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Using your hands, combine the ingredients gently, but thoroughly. The mixture will most likely be quite moist and sticky. Form into four 3/4-inch thick patties, place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a gas or charcoal grill on high. Oil the grates well and cook the pineapple rings until grill marks form, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Oil the grates again and grill the chicken burgers until no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place a slice of tomato on each roll, top with a burger and a slice of grilled pineapple. Serve with chips and coleslaw.