Easy Homemade Cornbread
This is a foolproof recipe for homemade cornbread that has all wholesome ingredients and only takes about a half-hour to make.
This recipe for cornbread is so simple and quick to fix, it really makes no sense to buy a mix. Serve it with a little butter at breakfast, use it in a Southern-style cornbread stuffing, or pair it with a bowl of chili for a deliciously hearty dinner.
As written, this recipe calls for a 1:1 ratio of cornmeal to flour, but that can be adjusted to produce the texture you like the best. A little more flour and less cornmeal will produce a more cake-like consistency. More cornmeal and less flour will give you that crumbly cornbread texture.
Be sure to check the recipe notes for mix-in options like roasted jalapenos, corn kernels, shredded cheese, bacon, and sautéed onion.
How to Make This Recipe
This is an overview of how this easy homemade cornbread is made. You’ll find detailed measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version of the recipe below.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, oil and egg .
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix just long enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch square cake pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool in the pan before cutting into squares.
LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS: If you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or a comment below. We’re always happy to hear from our readers! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, or sign up for our email list to get our recipes sent directly to your inbox.
Easy Homemade Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar, see notes
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Combine the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, oil and egg together until well blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
Tips for Making This Recipe
About the sugar:If you are planning to use this recipe in cornbread stuffing, you can safely cut the sugar back to 2-1/2 tablespoons if desired.
Recipe variations:It’s easy to add extra ingredients to basic cornbread. Fold dry additions into the finished batter after mixing. Mix wet additions into the egg-oil mixture before mixing.
- Roasted jalapeno peppers, 1 or 2, peeled and diced
- Corn kernels, up to 1/2 cup, frozen or fresh
- Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, up to 1/2 cup, grated
- Cooked, crumbled bacon or diced ham, up to 1/2 cup
- Sautéed chopped onion, up to 1/2 cup