This recipe for corn bread is so easy it makes no sense to buy a mix. You can vary the ratio of corn meal to flour, as long as you stay at two cups total. More flour, less corn meal will give you a more cake-like consistency ~ more corn meal, less flour will yield a crumbly texture.Print
Simple Corn Bread
A simple, foolproof recipe for basic corn bread that can be modified easily.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 16 (2-inch) squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar (see notes)
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Combine the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, oil and egg together until well blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
About the sugar:
If you are planning to use this recipe in a corn bread stuffing, you can safely cut the sugar back to 2-1/2 tablespoons if desired.
It's easy to add extra ingredients to basic cornbread. Fold dry additions into the finished batter after mixing. Mix wet additions into the egg-oil mixture before mixing.
- Roasted jalapeno peppers, 1 or 2, peeled and diced
- Corn kernels, up to 1/2 cup, frozen or fresh
- Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, up to 1/2 cup, grated
- Cooked, crumbled bacon or diced ham, up to 1/2 cup
- Sautéed chopped onion, up to 1/2 cup