This is a simple little side dish that can be served as a switch from cole slaw. Purple-top turnips are usually mild and slightly sweet when they’re small and have a nice firm crunch. Choose ones that are about 2-1/2-inches in diameter for best results. For a slight variation, you can use chopped chives instead of regular onion for an even milder flavor.
Shredded Turnip, Apple and Carrot Salad
- 6 small purple-top turnips, peeled, ends trimmed
- 2 small carrots, peeled
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the turnips, carrots, and apple using the shredding disk of a food processor or the largest holes on a box grater and combine in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Add the onion, oil, vinegar, sugar, and parsley.
- Mix well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover and chill for one hour before serving.