Piquant Tomato-Orange Sauce
The addition of dried orange peel to a simple marinara-style tomato sauce creates a sweet and savory combination of flavors that pair nicely with entrées like pork tenderloin, chicken cutlets and broiled salmon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until light golden in color, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute longer, then deglaze the pan with the orange juice, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes and orange peel and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes to allow flavors to marry. Add the butter just before serving and stir until melted.
It's easy to make your own dried orange peel and it keeps for months in the fridge. Click here for our easy instructions.