The addition of dried orange peel to a simple marinara-style tomato sauce creates a sweet and savory combination of flavors that pair nicely with entrées like pork tenderloin, chicken cutlets and broiled salmon.
Piquant Tomato-Orange Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, about 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon [dried orange peel]
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until light golden in color, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute longer, then deglaze the pan with the orange juice, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes and orange peel and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes to allow flavors to marry. Add the butter just before serving and stir until melted.