This is our sure-fire recipe for juicy, grilled burgers made even better by adding tangy, Hawaiian-style toppings that include grilled pineapple, sweet onion, bacon, mozzarella cheese and teriyaki-flavored ketchup.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices fresh pineapple
- 4 slices Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 4 slices fresh tomato
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Place the ground beef in a shallow bowl. Add the salt, a few grinds of black pepper, mayonnaise and panko. The mayonnaise and panko help to hold the juices in the burger during cooking without changing the flavor or texture of the beef. The coarse texture of the panko is important because unlike dry breadcrumbs, they don't add density to ground beef.
- Use a wooden spatula to combine the meat ingredients as best you can before doing a final, gentle mix with your hands. Gently form the patties into quarter-pound portions and make a slight depression in the center of each with your thumb. This helps the burgers maintain an even thickness rather than developing a thicker "dome" in the center. Transfer to a plate and chill for at least 15 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the teriyaki ketchup by combining the ketchup, soy sauce and honey and set aside.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to a medium-high temperature (about 400°F) and oil the grates.
- Add the pineapple slices and grill until lightly browned, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the burgers and grill for approximately 4 minutes on the first side. You'll know when it's time to turn them because juices will begin to bead on the top of each burger indicating that they are cooked through the center.
- Use a spatula to turn them and grill for an additional 2 to 3 minutes on the second side, adding the mozzarella cheese after about 1 minute. Transfer the burgers to a plate and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- While the burgers rest, lightly toast the buns on the grill if desired.
- To serve, place a burger on each bun, add a slice each of pineapple, onion, tomato and bacon and top with ketchup.