Swordfish is a good choice for making spiedini (Italian for skewer). It's firm-flesh cooks up relatively quickly and stays nice and moist. For this dish we marinated the fish in a simple combination of olive oil, lemon juice and garlic, grilled it on skewers, then topped it with a toasted lemon-garlic crumb mixture. Serve over sautéed spinach with crumb topped broiled tomatoes.Print
Swordfish Spiedini with Lemon-Garlic Crumbs
Cubes of swordfish, marinated in olive oil, lemon and garlic are skewered, grilled and topped with a toasty mixture of panko crumbs, garlic and lemon.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 to 1-1/4 lb swordfish steak, about 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice (about 3 tablespoons) and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, very finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the skin from the edge of the swordfish and discard. Cut the fish into 1-inch cubes and place them in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the garlic. Pour over the swordfish cubes, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the fish with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If you plan to use wooden skewers, start soaking them while the fish marinates.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crumbs and continue cooking until they turn light golden in color. Add the remaining lemon juice and lemon zest and cook just until the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat a grill or broiler and thread the swordfish cubes onto 4 skewers. Brush a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil with some of the oil from the marinade and arrange the skewers on it. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, turning once. Transfer to 4 plates, top with a portion of crumbs and serve immediately.