Stir-Fried Steak with Black Garlic
Delicious black garlic (see below) combines with the meat juices, a bit of soy sauce and some toasted sesame oil to form a saucy coating for tender, stir-fried steak. Serve over a bed of noodles tossed with stir-fried ginger and cabbage for a quick and easy complete meal.
What is Black Garlic?
Black garlic is an all-natural ingredient that originated in Korea. It is made from fresh garlic that has been fermented in a unique, heat and humidity controlled process for a period of three weeks, then air-dried for an additional week before packing.
The resulting product has a sweet flavor with a slight tang – as delicious as roasted garlic, but decidedly different.
The texture is soft and slightly sticky, similar to dried fruit. It is very easy to work with, keeps for quite a while, and a great ingredient to have on hand.
- 1 lb boneless New York strip steaks
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 cloves black garlic, roughly chopped (see notes)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Trim any excess fat from the steaks, slice them into thin strips for stir-frying and place in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, and some freshly ground black pepper. Stir to coat the meat thoroughly and set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok or heavy skillet over high heat. Add the beef along with the juices that have accumulated, and stir fry for 30 seconds. Reduce the heat to medium-high, add the black garlic and continue stir frying until the garlic breaks down slightly and combines with the meat juices to form a sauce that coats the beef, 1-1/2 minutes. Small chunks of the garlic will remain. Serve over Ginger Noodles with Shredded Cabbage (recipe follows).
- 8 ounces whole wheat thin spaghetti (or Chinese egg noodles)
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Cook and drain the noodles according to the package directions.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or heavy skillet over high heat. Add the ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage and stir fry just until wilted, about 1 minute longer.
- Quickly remove from the heat, add the soy sauce and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Toss with the noodles and adjust seasoning as needed.