A quick stir-fry using quinoa makes a nice alternative to fried rice. Unlike rice, which really should be made ahead and chilled, quinoa can be cooked up fresh and stir-fried right away. This recipe includes cabbage and cubes of eggplant that roast in the oven while you prepare the other ingredients ~ a method that saves on fat, calories, and time!
Stir-Fried Quinoa with Eggplant and Cabbage
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 to 1 lb eggplant, cubed
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the eggplant cubes in a bowl, drizzle with a small amount of vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for 8 to 12 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa with cold water in a fine mesh strainer. Place the quinoa and broth in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and scramble until cooked through. Stir into the cooked quinoa.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and increase the heat to high. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Quickly stir in the sriracha, then add the cabbage. Stir-fry until the cabbage is crisp-tender, another 2 minutes.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed, then add the quinoa-egg mixture. Continue to stir-fry for another minute. Add the soy sauce, toss to combine, then add the eggplant and cilantro. Mix well, drizzle with a little additional sesame oil and serve.
Leave a Reply