This easy recipe combines strands of roasted spaghetti squash with a simple mix of sautéed onions and garlic, parsley and Parmesan cheese. A great alternative to potatoes or pasta, it makes a great side to serve with chicken, fish or pork.Print
Spaghetti Squash with Sautéed Onion and Garlic
A simple side dish made with roasted spaghetti squash, sautéed onions, garlic, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, 3 to 3-1/2 lbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and sprinkle with salt. Place the squash, cut side down in a baking dish and add about 1/4 inch of water.
- Tent with foil and bake until the squash is tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use a fork to rake the strands of flesh out of the skin and into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and lightly caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add the spaghetti squash and toss to combine thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to be sure the squash is heated through. Add the parsley and Parmesan and toss again.