Ceviche is surprisingly easy to prepare and makes a wonderful appetizer for parties because all the prep work is done in advance. Our recipe features shrimp and bay scallops that have been marinated in a combination of tequila blanco and freshly squeezed lime juice. Fresh oranges, grape tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, onion and cilantro add an amazing blend of flavors, colors, and textures to the finished dish.
Shrimp and Scallop Ceviche with Tequila
- 3/4 pound small or medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 pound bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, 4 to 5 limes
- 1/4 cup tequila blanco
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Working in batches, add half the shrimp to the boiling water and cook for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Using a large slotted spoon, remove and immediately plunge the shrimp into the ice bath for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and scallops, adding more ice to the water as needed.
- Place the parboiled shrimp and scallops in a shallow, non-reactive bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt and a few grinds of black pepper and toss.
- Add the lime juice, tequila, and red onion, combine well, cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 4 to 8 hours.
- You’ll know the seafood and fish are done when they are white and opaque.
- Drain off the marinade and add the jalapeño and grape tomatoes. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
- Cover and return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, add in the oranges and cilantro. Serve in a martini glass along with warm tortilla chips if desired.
Leave a Reply