Roasted Tomatoes Caprese
The fresh flavors of a Caprese salad are a real treat during the summer when tomatoes are at their peak, but this recipe is a nice off-season option. Thick slices of tomato are brushed with garlic-oil, roasted until tender, then topped with fresh mozzarella and basil. They make a good accompaniment for simple entrées like grilled steak, chicken or fish.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Remove the cores from the tomatoes and cut away a very thin slice from both the top and bottom of each to expose the flesh.
- Cut each tomato into 3 thick slices (about 5/8-inch) and arrange them on the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the olive oil and garlic in a small bowl and brush some onto each slice of tomato, then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the tomatoes are tender and the skins are slightly wrinkled, 9 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with mozzarella, then continue roasting until the cheese is nicely melted, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Top with the chopped basil and serve immediately.