Oven-roasting is not only the simplest method for cooking okra, it’s the best way to ensure optimal flavor and a firm, non-slimy texture. For this recipe we’ve paired our roasted okra with bits of crisp bacon and plum tomatoes to make a quick, easy side dish with a homestyle Southern flare.Print
Roasted Okra with Bacon and Tomatoes
This simple recipe combines oven roasted okra with fresh tomatoes and bits of bacon to make a versatile side dish that pairs well with a wide variety of entrees.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/2 lbs fresh okra
- 3 medium plum tomatoes
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a large, shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Trim the stem ends from the okra, cut them in half lengthwise and arrange them on the prepared pan in a single layer. Season lightly with salt and pepper and roast just until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the okra roasts, dice the cooked bacon into 1/4-inch pieces and set aside. Quarter the tomatoes lengthwise, cut each piece crosswise into 3 or 4 pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the okra from the oven, and scatter the tomatoes and bacon over top. Continue roasting just long enough for the tomatoes to soften and heat through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.