Here's an easy recipe that really makes the most of the fabulous flavors of fresh asparagus and prosciutto. This natural flavor combo just needs a touch of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and freshly cracked black pepper to make a delicious appetizer that takes very little time and effort to prepare.Print
- 36 thin asparagus spears (1 to 1–1/4 lbs)
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, and coat a shallow baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Trim 1 to 1-1/2 inches from the bottom of the asparagus spears, wash and pat dry.
- Slice the prosciutto lengthwise into thirds. Working at an angle, wrap the middle section of each asparagus spear with a strip of prosciutto (like the stripes on a barbershop pole) and arrange them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together. Brush about half of the mixture onto the asparagus and grind some black pepper over the top. Roast for 5 minutes, or until the asparagus starts to wilt and develop a little brown color.
- Remove from the oven, brush again with the remaining oil and vinegar mixture, then return to the oven for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the thickest part of the asparagus is tender. Grind a little more pepper over the top if desired.
- Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
For best results, try to choose asparagus spears that are about 3/8-inch in diameter at the thick end and keep a close eye on them in the oven to avoid overcooking.
- Category: Appetizers