This recipe is our adaptation of a side dish served at one of our favorite Vietnamese restaurants. It’s sweet-and-savory flavor complements main dishes like grilled or pan-seared chicken, pork or fish very nicely. Try it with our Pan-Seared Lemongrass Salmon.
- 1 cup jasmine, or long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh pineapple with juice, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons fish or soy sauce
- 2 to 3 scallions, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté until soft and fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and cook for an additional minute, then stir in the rice, water and fish sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, lower the heat slightly, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, add the scallions and fluff again to combine. Taste for seasoning, adjust as needed, then cover and let stand for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the scallions to soften.