The nice thing about making homemade hot chocolate is that you can easily control the amount of sugar you use. That’s particularly useful with this recipe because the Irish cream liqueur adds some sweetness too.
Here’s how to make hot chocolate from scratch
The basic recipe for homemade hot chocolate is as follows (per serving): In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of whole milk over medium heat. Whisk in 1 tablespoon each of sugar and unsweetened cocoa. Continue to whisk until well-blended and heated through. Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream.
Turning this basic recipe into Irish hot chocolate couldn’t be simpler – just cut back on the milk a little, add a shot of your favorite Irish cream liqueur, and stir.
Irish Hot Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces Irish cream liqueur
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- Warm milk over low heat (do not boil) and whisk in cocoa and sugar.
- Continue whisking until well blended and heated through.
- Stir in the Irish cream liqueur and pour into a mug.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.