This is a nice way of cooking boneless chicken breasts that ensures a tender and juicy end result. The method follows Julia Child’s recipe for “Chicken Breasts Poached in Butter,” but we expanded on the flavors and added zucchini and tomatoes to create an easy one-dish meal. Serve with crusty French bread and extra butter for spreading, or add mashed potatoes or rice on the side.Print
Herb and Butter Poached Chicken w/Vegetables
Boneless chicken breasts are oven-poached in butter with herbes de Provence and white wine, then combined with zucchini and tomatoes to make delicately flavored one-dish meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thickly sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise and thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Add the herbes de Provence, stir in the wine and cook 1 minute more. Add the chicken breasts and cook, turning frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Cover the chicken with a piece of wax paper, then cover pan tightly as well. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your chicken. To avoid overcooking, check with an instant read thermometer and cook to an internal temperature of 160 to 165°F.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Return the pan to the stove and heat the juices over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and sauté until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season again, and cook until they’re slightly softened, 2 minutes longer.
- To serve, make a bed of vegetables on each plate, top with a chicken breast and spoon a little of the pan juices over the top.