Spice Breaded Chicken Tenders
Try breading fast-cooking chicken tenders with this unusual blend of spices for a quick, easy dinner that’s far from boring.
Serve them with side dishes like roasted fresh carrots and some couscous or try our Easy Quinoa and Scallions (recipe below).
- 1-1/4 lb chicken tenderloins (12 pieces)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine the breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, smoked paprika and a few grinds of black pepper in a shallow dish or pie plate.
- Place the egg in another shallow dish and whisk in the milk. Dip each piece chicken tenderloin in the egg mixture, then dredge in the crumb-spice mixture, pressing lightly to be sure the crumbs adhere well.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until the crumbs are golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil, then plate individual servings.
Try serving with a salad and our Easy Quinoa with Scallions (recipe follows).
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly, using a fine-mesh strainer. Set aside to drain.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa is tender and most of the broth has been absorbed, about 12 minutes. Stir in the butter and sliced scallions and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 3 minutes.