Garlic Braised Green Beans
This green bean recipe is so simple, yet it yields incredibly flavorful results. Braising the beans in broth with garlic and a little onion gives them a mellow flavor that complements just about any entree, from Italian cuisine to roast beef, pork, or even fried chicken.
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup beef (or chicken) broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pan with a tight-fitting lid heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook just until soft and fragrant. Do not brown.
- Add the beans, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat with the oil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the broth and cover. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the beans are tender, 18 to 25 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve immediately.