This green bean recipe is so simple, yet it yields incredibly flavorful results. Braising the beans in broth with garlic and a little onion gives them a mellow flavor that complements just about any entree, from Italian cuisine to roast beef, pork, or even fried chicken.Print
Garlic Braised Green Beans
Fresh green beans are braised in broth with garlic and onions to make a mellow, versatile side dish that goes with a wide variety of entrees.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup beef (or chicken) broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pan with a tight fitting lid heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook just until soft and fragrant. Do not brown. Add the beans, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat with the oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the broth and cover. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the beans are tender, 18 to 25 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve immediately.