Yukon Gold potatoes have such a naturally sweet, buttery flavor on their own all that's needed is a little butter, cream, salt, pepper and a generous helping of fresh chives to make an easy side for grilled steak, roast pork or chicken and a host of other simple entrées.Print
Chive-Smashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
The simplicity of this recipe is what makes it so delicious – Yukon Gold potatoes, butter, cream, salt and pepper and fresh chives.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1–1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, add a pinch of salt and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Place back on the heat for about 30 seconds to be sure any excess water has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the butter and cream to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher to desired smoothness. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the chives.
The flavor of truffle is a nice complement to the ingredients in this recipe. Reduce the cream to 3 tablespoons and add 1 tablespoon of truffle oil along with the chives.