Chicken Breasts with Shallots, Honey and Thyme
These crumb-coated, shallow-fried chicken breasts get their sweet and savory flavor from a light glaze of sautéed shallots, honey, fresh thyme and cream.
Crumb-coated, shallow-fried chicken breasts are one of our favorite easy-to-make comfort foods and this recipe makes them even better by adding a light, flavorful glaze made with sautéed shallots, honey, fresh thyme and a touch of cream.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cream or half-and-half
- If the chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch.
- In a shallow dish (a pie plate works well), beat the egg together with the milk. Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate or sheet of wax paper and combine with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and fry until golden-brown and cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Sauté the shallots until softened, 2 to 3 minutes, then whisk in the honey, thyme and cream.
- Return the chicken to the pan and carefully turn each piece several times until the breadcrumb coating has absorbed the sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 431 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 163mg Sodium: 388mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 43g