This recipe for tomato soup is practically as quick to make as canned, but infinitely better tasting. The flavor of the fresh tomatoes and basil really shine through and the splash of cream added at the end of cooking lends just the right amount of richness. Serve as a first course, or alongside a sandwich (we like grilled cheese) for a light dinner.Print
An easy recipe for deliciously flavorful tomato soup made with a combination of plum tomatoes, tomato juice and a generous quantity of fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking, stirring continually, until fragrant and barely golden, 2 minutes additional.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the basil, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cream and purée the soup using a hand-held or conventional blender. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped basil if desired.