These tender, juicy chicken wings are marinated in a pungent blend of tequila, fresh lime juice and garlic, then shallow fried, glazed and served with a Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce.Print
Tequila, fresh lime juice and garlic make a delicious marinade for chicken wings to serve with blue cheese dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 to 20 pieces
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken wings,
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (see recipe below)
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon jalapeño pepper sauce
- Trim the wing tips and discard, then separate the wings into two pieces, cutting through the joint. Combine the tequila and lime juice in a glass measure. Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil, jalapeno pepper sauce and garlic. Place the chicken wings in a shallow dish or heavy zip-top bag and cover with the marinade. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, turning once.
- While the wings marinate, make the Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce by combining the garlic, blue cheese, sour cream, lemon juice and jalapeño pepper sauce in a small bowl. Transfer to a serving dish, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat about 1/8-inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the wings and cook, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate, add a little more oil and repeat with the remaining wings. Wipe out the pan and add the leftover marinade. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened to a glaze consistency (for safety reasons, cook for a minimum of 5 minutes). Return the wings to the pan, turn to coat with glaze and serve.