Roasted Chicken Sausage and Grapes
For an easy meal and a fantastic blend of sweet and savory flavors, try roasting Italian sausage (we used chicken sausage) together with juicy grapes, a little red wine, garlic and onion. It's a nice change from tomato sauce and is wonderful served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
- 1 lb Italian chicken or turkey sausage (hot, sweet or some of each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 to 3 cups red or white seedless grapes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and brown lightly on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and sauté for 1-1/2 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in the red wine and return the sausages to the pan. Continue cooking, turning the sausages frequently, until the wine has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the grapes to the pan and toss to coat with the juices. Place the pan in the oven and roast until the sausages are cooked through and the grapes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve with garlic mashed potatoes.