Caldo Verde (green soup) is a traditional Portuguese soup that’s quick to prepare and intensely flavorful despite its simple list of ingredients. Made with linguiça, onions, garlic, kale and potatoes it’s a satisfying dinner soup – just add some garlic bread or a salad.
Portuguese Kale Soup – Caldo Verde
- 3/4 lb linguiça, Portuguese smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb kale, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 medium, about 3/4 lb yellow potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the linguiça and sauté until lightly browned, 3 minutes.
- Pour off any excess fat, add the onions and garlic and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the kale, potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.