Caldo Verde (green soup) is a traditional Portuguese soup that's quick to prepare and intensely flavorful despite its simple list of ingredients. Made with linguiça, onions, garlic, kale and potatoes it's a satisfying dinner soup – just add some garlic bread or a salad.Print
Portuguese Kale Soup – Caldo Verde
Portuguese kale soup is a hearty, flavorful dinner soup made with linguica, kale, onions and potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 lb linguiça (Portuguese smoked sausage), sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb kale, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 medium (about 3/4 lb) yellow potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the linguiça and sauté until lightly browned, 3 minutes.
- Pour off any excess fat, add the onions and garlic and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the kale, potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
If you can't find linguiça in your area, kielbasa makes a perfectly acceptable substitute.