Dress up pan-seared steak with a mild sauce flavored with shallots, garlic, gorgonzola and horseradish. It's quick and easy to prepare and served with a side of simple roasted potatoes and a tossed salad this dish completes a nice meal with very little fuss.Print
Pan-Seared Filet With Gorgonzola-Horseradish Sauce
Try a creamy gorgonzola sauce flavored with shallots, garlic, and horseradish to dress up grilled or pan-seared steak or roast beef.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1–1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs beef tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch thick medallions (8 pieces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish
- 6 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a broiler pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Season the beef filet on each side with a bit of salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the steaks to the hot pan and sear until the meat releases itself from the pan, 60 to 90 seconds per side. Transfer to the foil lined pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat on the pan to medium. Add the shallot, cook for 30 seconds, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about another 30 seconds. Stir in the milk and cook until heated through and beginning to bubble, about 1 minute.
- Add the horseradish and crumbled gorgonzola to the shallot-garlic-milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly until the gorgonzola melts and the sauce begins to thicken. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Place the beef in the oven, and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes for medium rare or until meat reaches desired doneness. Keep an eye on it ~ cooking times can vary.
- Quickly divide the beef among 4 plates. Give the sauce a final stir and spoon some over each serving and transfer the balance to a serving bowl.
Try this sauce on different cuts of grilled steak or with roast beef.