For a simple, satisfying meal straight from the pantry, cook up some linguine with a roasted red pepper sauce made from jarred peppers. Toss in a sprinkling of capers and serve along with a tossed salad and you'll have a delicious meal that won't keep you in the kitchen all night.Print
Linguine with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
This easy, roasted red pepper sauce is a nice switch from standard marinara and is quick to whip up using just a few ingredients from your pantry.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 10 ounces linguine
- 1 jar (12-ounces) sweet roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or cream
- 2 to 4 tablespoons capers, drained (see notes)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the linguine.
- Purée the roasted peppers in a food processor or blender and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until pale gold in color, 1 to 2 minutes longer (do not brown).
- Add the red pepper purée and continue cooking, stirring constantly until heated through. Stir in the half-and-half and continue cooking about 1 minute more. Add the capers and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low to keep warm.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions. Add the sauce and toss to combine.
- To serve, plate individual servings and garnish with the chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
If you don't care for capers, substitute 1/4 cup frozen petite peas. Just add them before you add the half-and-half to give them an extra minute or two to cook.