Jalapeño-Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
These thin-sliced chicken cutlets are filled with a tasty combination of shredded Monterey Jack, cream cheese, chopped jalapeños and fresh cilantro. Coated in crumbs seasoned with cumin and coriander they’re baked until golden and topped with a mixture of butter and lime juice for extra flavor.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (1 to 1-1/4 lbs)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened (reduced fat is fine)
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons jalapeño pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the chicken cutlets between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound them to a thickness of about 1/4-inch.
- Combine the cream cheese, shredded Monterey Jack, chopped jalapeños and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro in a small bowl until smooth. Divide the mixture between the 4 pieces of chicken and spread it to within 1/2-inch of the edges of each. Starting at the narrow end, roll up the cutlets and set aside.
- Note: You can secure the rolls with toothpicks if desired.
- In a pie plate or other shallow dish, whisk together the egg, milk and jalapeño pepper sauce. In another shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, cumin and coriander.
- One at a time, coat the cutlets in the egg mixture, then roll them in the crumbs until evenly coated. Place them, seam side down on the prepared baking pan. To prevent the cheese from running out during baking, once you have the chicken positioned on the baking pan, tuck the ends in as best you can.
- Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray and bake, uncovered, until lightly browned, 20 minutes.
- When the chicken is almost done, melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, whisk in the lime juice and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and spoon the butter-lime-cilantro mixture over each piece. Return the chicken to the oven until cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes additional.
Side Dish Suggestions:
Serve with side dishes of steamed cauliflower tossed in butter with an added dash of jalapeño pepper sauce and sautéed spinach.