Flat iron steak is similar in appearance to flank, but it makes a great alternative for a quick meal because unlike flank steak, it doesn’t need to be marinated prior to cooking. This recipe features a tasty Asian-style sauce made with hoisin, sherry, orange juice and orange marmalade, but the flat iron is such a flavorful steak, it really can stand on its own with no embellishment. Check out the recipe notes for more information on this great cut of beef.
Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Orange-Hoisin Sauce
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs flat iron steak
- Toasted sesame oil, or vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat (450 to 475°F). Remove the steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not brown.
- Stir in the sherry and orange juice, bring the mixture to a rapid simmer and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the hoisin sauce and orange marmalade and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and transfer about 2 tablespoons to a small bowl. Add the butter to the remainder, stir until melted and cover to keep warm.
- Brush the steak on both sides with a bit of sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Oil the grill grates, add the steak and grill for 2 minutes on the first side.
- Turn the steak over and brush the reserved sauce on top. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on the second side (for medium rare), then transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 7 to 8 minutes.
- To serve, cut the steak into thin slices against the grain and drizzle with the Orange-Hoisin sauce. Pass additional sauce at the table.