Grilled Chicken with Gazpacho Sauce
Tender grilled chicken breasts team up with a modified version of gazpacho soup to make a healthy, flavorful dinner.
This recipe uses the bright, fresh flavors of Gazpacho Soup as a sauce for boneless grilled chicken breasts.
Served with buttery slices of toasted baguette for soaking up every tasty drop of sauce, it's a delicious, light summer meal that comes together easily and doesn't heat up the kitchen.
About the grilled chicken:
A quick brine in a simple salt and sugar solution guarantees tender, juicy grilled chicken breasts every time. It's a little bit of extra work, but we think the results are worth the effort.
Get the instructions in our recipe for Perfect Grilled Chicken Breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (see notes)
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
For the gazpacho:
- 2 medium, ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups bread cubes (1/2-inch)
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium temperature.
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use.
- Place the breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound them to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Set aside while you make the gazpacho.
- Place the tomatoes, olive oil, sherry vinegar, bell pepper, onion, cucumber, tomato paste and garlic in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and add 1 cup of bread cubes, salt, cumin, black pepper, and hot sauce and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Blend the gazpacho again and if you think you'd like a thicker consistency, add the remaining bread cubes and blend again.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, then divide it between 4 shallow serving bowls.
- Oil the grill grates and add the chicken. Cover and grill for 3 minutes on the first side, then turn the breasts and grill until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before adding to the bowls of gazpacho. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with slices of buttered, toasted baguette.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 538mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 40g