This simple tomato soup is richly satisfying yet delicately flavored. The tangy goat cheese, toasty pine nuts and fresh basil retain their individual flavors and complement the rich tomato flavor at the same time. A slice of broiled tomato topped with an additional bit of goat cheese and a sprig of raw basil adds a fresh note and makes an attractive garnish.
Creamy Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can, 28-ounce diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, optional
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Optional garnish (see recipe notes)
- Broiled tomato slices
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Basil sprigs
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent and the garlic tender, but not browned. Add the salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, along with their liquid and bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and goat cheese and continue cooking until the cheese has melted. Add the basil and stir until wilted.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender (or conventional blender), purée the mixture until smooth. Add the water to thin slightly if desired, stir in the pine nuts and keep warm until served.