Chicken Sorrentino (Pollo alla Sorrentina) is a popular menu item in many Italian restaurants. It consists of a boneless chicken breast topped with eggplant (we roasted ours), prosciutto, provolone cheese and a fresh marinara. We make ours a little differently, substituting a chunky, fresh tomato sauce flavored with marsala wine and a touch of cream. Serve with a side of pasta and sautéed spinach.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lbs)
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces prosciutto (4 slices)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 4 to 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cream or half-and-half
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast until tender and lightly browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Gently pound the chicken breast halves to a thickness of about 1/2-inch. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray and arrange the chicken in a single layer. Cover each piece with slices of eggplant, a slice of prosciutto and a slice of provolone cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in the skillet used to cook the chicken. Add the onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Deglaze with the Marsala, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until the tomatoes break down to a saucy consistency, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Stir in the cream and remove from the heat.
- To serve, plate individual pieces of chicken and top with tomato sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 51g