Chicken Pot Pie
Our version of a classic chicken pot pie combines bite-sized pieces of boneless chicken breast, carrots, parsnips, leeks and peas. The hearty filling is flavored with a touch of garlic, dry white wine, Dijon-style mustard and thyme, then topped with a sheet of puff pastry for an easy and delicious finish.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and generously butter a pie plate or oblong baking dish (ours measures 9 x 6 x 2-1/2-inch).
- Place the carrots and parsnips in a small saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the vegetables cook, trim the chicken of any fat and cut it into small pieces (1/2 to 3/4-inch).
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until it is no longer visibly pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the wine, Dijon-style mustard and Worcestershire, reduce the heat to medium and add the leeks and thyme. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Whisk the flour into 1/2 cup of the milk until smooth. Gradually add it to the chicken mixture, stirring continually, until well blended. The sauce should be rather thick at this point.
- Add the remaining milk in the same manner, stirring until the sauce is smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add the parsley and reserved carrots and parsnips and combine thoroughly.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to the prepared baking dish in an even layer and set aside.
- Roll the puff pastry to a thickness of about 1/8-inch. Butter the top edge of the baking dish then lay the pastry on top with the edges overhanging by about 1-inch.
- Press down gently on the pastry to be sure it's snug against the filling. Crimp the edges of the pastry and trim the excess. Brush all over with the egg wash and cut a few steam vents in the top with the tip of a knife.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and allow the pot pie to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 163mg Sodium: 398mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 43g