Baked Asian Style Fish Sticks
These crispy baked fish sticks are easy to prepare and get their Asian-style flavor from a duo of dipping sauces: sweet Thai chili and homemade Cilantro-Lime Mayo.
These easy-to-make fish sticks are coated in a blend of panko crumbs and fresh lime zest and baked at a high heat to give them a delicious crunch.
Served with a choice of two Asian-style dipping sauces – a store-bought sweet Thai chili sauce and an easy, homemade alternative to tartar sauce flavored with fresh cilantro and lime juice – they make a tasty change from plain baked or broiled fish.
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 cups panko crumbs
- Zest of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sweet Thai chili sauce
For the Cilantro-Lime Mayo:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the Cilantro-Lime Mayo by combining the mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic and chopped cilantro in a mixing bowl. Transfer to a small serving bowl, add some Thai chili sauce to a second serving bowl and set both aside until ready to use.
- Quarter each tilapia fillet lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 3-inch long pieces.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a shallow dish (a pie plate works well).
- Combine the panko, lime zest, salt, a few grinds of black pepper and the oil in a separate shallow dish. Use your fingers to combine thoroughly so the oil is distributed evenly through the crumbs.
- Dip each piece of tilapia in the egg mixture, allow the excess to drain off, then roll in the panko mixture, pressing gently to make sure the crumbs adhere.
- As you work, transfer the fish sticks to the baking sheet leaving about an inch of space between them.
- Bake the fish for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the crumbs are crisp and golden and the fish flakes easily.
- Serve immediately, passing the dipping sauces at the table.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 197mg Sodium: 615mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 54g