This sauce is a mellow combination of sour cream, garlic, and chives. It complements our recipe for homemade potato-cheese pierogi perfectly (which is why we created it), but it could be served over egg noodles, steamed new potatoes, or lightly sautéed chicken tenderloins. The sauce is dependent on the proper cooking of the garlic – it's crucial not to let it get brown and bitter.Print
Sour Cream Garlic-Chive Sauce
This creamy sauce is flavored with mellow sautéed garlic and fresh chives and was created to complement homemade potato-cheese pierogi.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1-3/4 cup chicken broth (either homemade or low-sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chives
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly until it softens and begins to turn a very light golden color. Be careful not to allow it to crisp or brown. Add the flour, and continue stirring until it is well incorporated into the butter and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the flour begins to turn golden yellow.
- Gradually begin stirring in the chicken broth, blending it with the flour mixture until the sauce is smooth, creamy and thickened. Add the salt and pepper, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Whisk in the sour cream and blend until smooth. Add the fresh chives just before serving.