Lemon Garlic Spaghetti with Chicken
This easy, flavorful pasta dish is a favorite of ours for a quick weeknight meal. It features tender strips of boneless chicken tossed with spaghetti, sweet tomatoes and a simple, light sauce flavored with garlic, onion and fresh lemon.
- 3/4 to 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 ounces thin spaghetti
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Parmesan cheese for grating
- If your chicken breasts have tenderloins attached, remove them and reserve for another use. Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently to an even thickness of 1/2-inch, then slice them on the bias into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a 1-quart food storage bag and add the chicken strips. Shake the bag to coat the chicken with the flour mixture and set aside.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil, toss and set aside.
- Add 2 additional tablespoons of olive oil to a large frying pan and place over medium-high heat. Add the butter and as soon as it begins to foam, begin adding the chicken, a few pieces at a time, shaking off the excess flour as you do.
- Sauté the chicken until it's barely golden on the outside (it doesn't need to be cooked through at this point), then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes longer (do not brown).
- Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the broth has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking until softened, 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the lemon juice, zest and parsley. Cook 1 minute longer, then add the chicken mixture to the spaghetti and toss to combine.
- To serve, plate individual portions and top with grated Parmesan and a bit of freshly ground black pepper.