Zucchini, Pepper and Tomato Frittata
When you’re trying keep a meal on the light side and cleanup to a minimum, frittata, the Italian version of an omelette, fits the bill perfectly. You can flavor a frittata with a wide variety of ingredients including ham, bacon, asparagus, leeks, artichokes, mushrooms and cheese. This is our favorite meatless version, a combination of zucchini, red pepper, tomato and shredded fontina cheese. It’s delicious, easy to prepare and suitable for brunch or a late night dinner.
- 10 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup fontina cheese, finely shredded, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Whisk the eggs and half-and-half together in a bowl until frothy. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof, 10-inch, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and zucchini and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato and continue cooking until slightly softened, then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Distribute half the cheese over top of the vegetables, then stir in the eggs.
- Using a rubber spatula, continue to stir and scrape the bottom of the pan until the eggs form large, wet curds, 2 to 3 minutes. Smooth the mixture so it's evenly distributed in the pan and stop stirring for about 30 seconds to allow the bottom to set. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the frittata is slightly puffed and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to loosen the frittata around the edges and gently slide it onto a serving platter.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 511mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.