White Chocolate Amaretto Brownies
These buttery white chocolate brownies are flavored with toasted almonds and amaretto. We found them so deliciously rich and moist we decided they didn't even need a frosting or glaze. Try them with a cup of espresso!
- 1/3 cup thin-sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 8 ounces good-quality white chocolate chips (we used Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven just until golden, about 3 or 4 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a cutting board, chop them roughly and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and add about half of the white chocolate chips. Allow the chips to soften in the melted butter ~ it's not necessary to blend them into the butter completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and frothy. While still beating, gradually add in the sugar and continue mixing until smooth. Stir in the amaretto and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir just until blended. Add the melted butter mixture and using the mixer on low, mix just until blended and smooth.
- Using a spatula, fold in the toasted almond and remaining white chocolate chips. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then loosen around the edges with a thin spatula and invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
For a non-alcoholic version, replace the amaretto with milk and increase the extract to 1-1/2 teaspoons.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 128 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 28mg Sodium: 47mg Carbohydrates: 11g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g