Whipped Potato Casserole w/Sour Cream and Chives
A perfect choice for a company meal, this make-ahead, whipped potato casserole is flavored with butter, sour cream, cream cheese and chives, then baked in the oven until golden.
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and white pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into eighths. Place in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, add 2 teaspoons of salt and stir to dissolve. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Drain and return to the heat for about 1 minute to allow all the excess moisture to evaporate. Mash gently with a potato masher and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Place the butter, sour cream, milk and cream cheese in the saucepan you used for the potatoes. Warm over low heat, stirring often, until the butter and cream cheese have liquified, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mixture to the potatoes.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, whip the potatoes until smooth and fluffy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the chives.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and thoroughly coat a 2-1/2 to 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and add the potatoes. Smooth the top with a spatula and create a few peaks if desired. Bake, uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until heated through and golden on the top and around the edges.
This dish can be made ahead and baked just before serving. Be sure to remove the casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and add 8 to 10 minutes to the overall baking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 206mg Carbohydrates: 39g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g