This simple chicken and vegetable stew is made with boneless chicken thighs, zucchini, mushrooms, and red bell pepper in a light, white wine-tomato sauce.
Weeknights are the perfect time to serve a one-dish meal and this chicken and vegetable stew is one of our favorites.
It's made with boneless chicken thighs, zucchini, mushrooms and red bell pepper simmered in a light, white wine-tomato sauce.
We like to serve it over soft polenta (as pictured), but egg noodles, orzo, rice or even garlic toast are all good alternatives for soaking up the tasty sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 lb)
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper in plastic bag. Add the chicken and shake to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Using tongs, add the chicken and sauté until light golden on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking 1 minute longer.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until any liquid the mushrooms give off has evaporated and the they begin to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and continue cooking until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the zucchini, cook for an additional 2 minutes, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine, bring to a simmer, then stir in the tomatoes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cook until the liquid is slightly thickened and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spoon the stew over soft polenta, egg noodles, orzo or rice and garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 157mg Sodium: 350mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 8g Protein: 37g