These moist, light cupcakes are loaded with vanilla flavor from both homemade vanilla extract and vanilla beans. The smooth, creamy frosting is flavored with a variety of fresh ground spices including allspice, ginger, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and even a hint of black pepper.Print
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Chai Spiced Frosting
Delicious, moist vanilla bean cupcakes topped with a rich cream cheese frosting flavored with a multitude of freshly ground spices.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 to 14 cupcakes
- 2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
For the Chai-Spiced Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Measure the sifted flour and add the baking powder and salt. Sift together one additional time and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir to combine. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the butter-egg mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Halve the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the batter. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the paper-lined muffin cups and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back readily when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes cool, place the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add all the spices (see recipe notes) and combine thoroughly. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before frosting the cooled cupcakes.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving (about 10 minutes out of the fridge).
You don't have to follow our spice mix exactly – just use about 2-1/2 teaspoons total of your favorite blend of spices.