This is a simple tomato chutney that uses both sun dried and fresh grape (or plum) tomatoes along with fresh basil and parsley. It has an intense tomato flavor ~ delicious with grilled foods like chicken, pork tenderloin, salmon or swordfish. Serve with easy sides like roasted potatoes and sautéed spinach.Print
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 ounces sun dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise (see notes)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until soft but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the sun dried tomatoes, sherry vinegar, salt, a few grinds of black pepper and oregano. Cook until the tomatoes are soft, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the grape tomatoes and scallions. Continue cooking until the grape tomatoes are soft and slightly wrinkled, about 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the basil and parsley and cook for 1 minute more. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before serving.
Plum tomatoes (about 5 medium) can easily be substituted for the grape tomatoes, just remove the seeds and chop them roughly.
- Category: Condiments