These quick-to-fix turkey burgers feature a unique combination of flavors. Fresh sage and shallots are mixed directly into the meat, then the burgers are pan-seared and topped with apple slices sautéed in butter and a slice of creamy brie. Serve with fries and our Cranberry Cole Slaw (recipe included).Print
Turkey-Sage Burgers w/Sautéed Apples and Brie
Pan-seared turkey burgers flavored with fresh sage and shallots are topped with sautéed apples and melted brie.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb ground turkey (not white meat)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 medium shallot, finely chopped (2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Four 1/4-inch thick slices brie, brought to room temperature
- 4 seeded rolls
For the apples:
- 1 medium apple, cored, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of salt
- Make the sautéed apples first by melting the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the apple slices in a single layer and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until tender and light golden in color, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Combine the ground turkey, salt, a little freshly ground pepper, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, shallots and sage in a large bowl. Mix well and form into 4 equally-sized burgers.
- Add the vegetable oil to the pan you cooked the apples in and raise the heat to medium high. Cook the burgers, turning several times, until firm and no longer pink in the middle, 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Remove from the heat, top each with a portion of apples and a slice of brie. Cover the pan and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt, then place the burgers on the buns and serve immediately.
Cranberry Cole Slaw
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (or 1 pkg store-bought coleslaw mix)
- 1/2 medium shallot, very finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 to 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or more to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the cabbage, shallots and cranberries in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the cabbage mixture, combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Taste and adjust the seasoning after about 15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings