If you enjoy sweet and savory flavor combinations, this burger recipe should fit the bill. Ground turkey usually needs a helping hand when it comes to flavor and texture, particularly when made into burgers. We think we’ve come up with a winning combo with this mixture of blue cheese, honey and shallots. The flavors are subtle, but delicious and the burgers are moist and tender.Print
Turkey Burgers with Blue Cheese, Bacon and Honey
A mixture of creamy blue cheese, chopped shallot, mayo and a bit of honey makes flavorful, moist turkey burgers.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 lb ground turkey (not white meat)
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces blue cheese (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 4 slices fresh tomato
- Leaf lettuce
- 4 round French rolls, sliced and toasted
- Oil the grates and preheat a grill to a medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the blue cheese, mayonnaise, honey and shallot with a fork until creamy. Small chunks of blue cheese are okay. Add to the turkey mixture and combine gently with your hands. Form into 4 patties about 1/2-inch thick and brush them lightly with a little vegetable oil.
- Grill the burgers until no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes per side over medium heat.
- Place some lettuce on the bottom half of the roll, top with a burger, a slice of tomato and two half-slices of bacon.
For the best texture on these burgers, use a good quality, creamy blue cheese. We used a delicious blue made from goat’s milk called Billy Blue from Carr Valley Cheese in Wisconsin. Although we usually enjoy this cheese on thin slices of toasted baguette and drizzled with a drop of honey, it really made our burgers super moist and tender, not to mention cheesily delicious.