Turkey Burgers with Blue Cheese, Bacon and Honey
If you enjoy sweet and savory flavor combinations, this burger recipe should fit the bill. Ground turkey usually needs a helping hand when it comes to flavor and texture, particularly when made into burgers. We think we’ve come up with a winning combo with this mixture of blue cheese, honey and shallots. The flavors are subtle, but delicious and the burgers are moist and tender.
- 1 lb ground turkey (not white meat)
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces blue cheese (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 4 slices fresh tomato
- Leaf lettuce
- 4 round French rolls, sliced and toasted
- Oil the grates and preheat a grill to a medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the blue cheese, mayonnaise, honey and shallot with a fork until creamy. Small chunks of blue cheese are okay. Add to the turkey mixture and combine gently with your hands. Form into 4 patties about 1/2-inch thick and brush them lightly with a little vegetable oil.
- Grill the burgers until no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes per side over medium heat.
- Place some lettuce on the bottom half of the roll, top with a burger, a slice of tomato and two half-slices of bacon.
For the best texture on these burgers, use a good quality, creamy blue cheese. We used a delicious blue made from goat's milk called Billy Blue from Carr Valley Cheese in Wisconsin. Although we usually enjoy this cheese on thin slices of toasted baguette and drizzled with a drop of honey, it really made our burgers super moist and tender, not to mention cheesily delicious.