Tortellini with Mushrooms and Greens
This quick and easy meatless meal is made with cheese tortellini, oven-roasted mushrooms, and a combination of sautéed escarole and spinach.
Garlicky oven-roasted mushrooms, sautéed greens and fresh cheese tortellini combine to make this simple yet hearty meatless meal. High-heat roasting the mushrooms as opposed to sautéeing helps them develop extra flavor and reduces shrinkage so they really hold their own as a major component of the dish.
- 1-1/2 packages (about 13.5 ounces) fresh cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces cremini (or white) mushrooms, washed and halved lengthwise
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic (3 to 4 cloves), very finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bunch escarole (about 3/4 lb), roughly chopped
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the tortellini and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the mushrooms in bowl and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add about 1/3 of the chopped garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the mushrooms in the oil-garlic mixture and arrange them on a shallow baking pan in a single layer.
- Roast until tender and nicely browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the mushrooms roast, cook and drain the tortellini according to package directions, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid for finishing the dish. Set aside.
- Put the pot you cooked the tortellini in back on the stove over medium heat. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil along with the onion.
- Sauté the onion until soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes, then add the remaining garlic and continue cooking just until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Add a generous handful of the escarole to the pan and toss to coat with the oil. As soon as it's slightly wilted, add another batch and continue in this manner until you've added all the escarole and the spinach as well.
- Season the greens with salt, pepper and a pinch of crushed red pepper if desired.
- Continue cooking until all the greens are tender, then add the mushrooms.
- Add the tortellini along with the reserved cooking liquid. Combine well and continue cooking, tossing constantly, until the tortellini is piping hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Plate individual servings and top with a little more freshly ground black pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.