This easy pasta dish combines cheese tortellini and mushrooms in a velvety smooth sauce made with Marsala wine and mascarpone cheese. Served over a bed of sautéed spinach, this makes a satisfying meatless meal.Print
Tortellini, Mushrooms in Marsala-Mascarpone Cream Sauce
An easy, meatless pasta dish of cheese tortellini and mushrooms in a smooth and creamy Marsala-mascarpone sauce, served over a bed of sauteed spinach.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for grating
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the tortellini.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until soft, 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season liberally with salt and pepper and continue cooking until any liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the mushrooms brown, cook and drain the tortellini according to package directions.
- Add the Marsala to the mushroom-shallot mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes, then add the mascarpone and fresh thyme, stirring until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat, add the tortellini and parsley and combine thoroughly. Cover and keep warm.
- In a separate pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted, 2 minutes.
- To serve, make a bed of spinach on each of 4 plates, top with the tortellini and some grated cheese.