Baked Tomatoes Stuffed With Pearl Couscous And Chives
These baked stuffed tomatoes are a perfect accompaniment for a wide range of entrees ~ grilled meats, broiled fish, roasted chicken and more. Choose large tomatoes that are ripe, but still firm for best results.
- 6 large firm, ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1-1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Core the tomatoes and cut a 1/2-inch slice off the tops and reserve. Remove the pulp, discard the seeds and chop roughly. Set aside. Lightly salt the hollowed-out tomatoes and place them upside down on paper towels for 20 minutes to drain excess liquid. Set upright in a baking dish that's been coated with nonstick spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add the couscous and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted. Stir in the chicken broth and simmer until the broth is absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Add a little extra broth or water during cooking if needed. Stir in the butter, reserved tomato pulp, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the couscous mixture loosely into the prepared tomatoes and cover each with a top slice. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender. Serve immediately.
This recipe can be varied using different herbs like parsley, thyme and basil or the addition of parmesan or feta cheese.