Good as either a starter or main course, this simple composed salad is made with juicy, ripe tomatoes, buttery cubes of Hass avocado and a lemon vinaigrette flavored with chopped shallot and fresh chives.Print
Tomato and Avocado Salad with Lemon-Chive Vinaigrette
A simple salad made with an assortment of ripe, flavorful tomatoes, cubes of Hass avocado and a lemony vinaigrette with shallots and fresh chives.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- 1-1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard and salt. While still whisking, add the olive oil in a slow drizzle until the dressing has emulsified (thickened). Stir in the shallots, chives and a few grinds of black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Core the tomatoes and cut them into wedges, slices, or a combination of both, then arrange them on salad plates.
- Halve the avocados lengthwise, remove the pits and, using a large spoon, scoop each half out of its skin in one piece. Cut into bite-sized cubes and place a portion in the center of each plate. Spoon the dressing over the salad, garnish with a lemon wedge and a little extra black pepper.
About the tomatoes:
We used an assortment of baby heirloom tomatoes for our salad – slicing some of the larger ones and quartering the smaller varieties. Feel free to use any fully-ripe, flavorful tomato, either from the market, or if you’re lucky, your home garden.