This satisfying, meatless chili is made with three varieties of beans, jalapeño and bell peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Seasoned with chili powder, cumin and chipotle pepper sauce and cooked in the slow cooker, it develops a rich, complex blend of flavors with a subtle, smoky kick.Print
Three-Bean Slow Cooker Chili
Sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and sweet bell pepper combine with three types of beans to make this hearty, meatless, slow-cooker chili.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours 5 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 medium yellow pepper, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Thinly sliced jalapeño pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeños, chili powder, cumin, oregano and chipotle pepper sauce and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the yellow pepper, carrots, tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans and sweet potatoes. Combine thoroughly with the garlic onion mixture, cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls, garnish with cilantro and thin slices of jalapeño pepper and serve with our Cheddar-Garlic Biscuits.