Thai Green Curry Shrimp
Green curry is a fragrant blend of spices and herbs, primarily flavored with lemongrass, kaffir lime, galangal, cumin and coriander. It’s quite spicy, but it complements the shrimp and vegetables in this unique Thai dish beautifully. Serve with steamed jasmine rice and Sweet-Hot Thai-Style Cucumber Salad.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 4 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons store-bought green curry paste
- 1 can (14-ounce) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 8 or 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Lime wedges
- Heat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment and arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer. Brush the slices with a bit of the vegetable oil, sprinkle with a touch of salt, turn over and repeat on the other side. Place in the pre-heated oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until the eggplant is lightly browned. Turn over and roast for another 3 minutes or so. Transfer the cooked eggplant to a separate dish and keep warm.
- Place 1 tablespoon of green curry paste and 1 cup of the coconut milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until blended. Allow to simmer for a few minutes until fragrant and starting to bubble. Taste and add a little more curry paste it desired.
- Add the green beans and simmer for about 3 minutes, then add the red pepper and eggplant and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until the green beans are crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, tossing to coat with the curry-coconut mixture. Just as the shrimp are starting to turn pink, add the balance of the coconut milk along with the fish sauce. Continue cooking until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through. Add the torn basil leaves and remove from the heat.
- To serve, mound a portion of the steamed jasmine rice in the center of each plate. Surround each serving of rice with shrimp and vegetables. Drizzle with extra sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.